Anyone who has ever purchased a new computer knows that 25% of the battle is the new hardware. The other 75% (plus) is the software. And dang it, it takes forever to install.
Especially when you need to install databases, application servers, web servers and other bits of software. Here’s a partial list of what I needed to install (and download, first, then configure):
- IIS 7.5 — lots of issues with the installation and making it work with ColdFusion 9
- ColdFusion 9
- SQL Server 2008 R2 — initially installed just 2008, not the R2. Microsoft, why in the world do you still have 2008 available for download? My previous system had R2 but I first installed 2008, so when I tried to re-attach the database I got no love. So, then had to find and download R2 and upgrade.
- PHP 5.2
- MySQL 5
- MySQL Workbench — first ended up with the OSS version which didn’t look anything like the Workbench tool I needed.
- iTunes — then had to transfer everything. And I’m still working on that
- filezilla — dumped my old FTP client (WS-FTP)
- Thunderbird — dumped my old email client (Eudora, which I have used since 1995– very sad)
- The Adobe Web Premium Suite
- Microsoft Office 2010
So, just a few bits o’software. And most needed configuration. Oh, and had to crank out code for clients. Lots of fun!
I know there are supposed to be tools to help you move to a new computer, but my loadout would never have worked with something like that. Too much configuration.
Maybe next time I get a new system I’ll pay someone to do it.